Pining for Fall  

Posted by Elysabeth Williams

The higher level I become (because I refuse to say the older I get,) the more I realize I dislike summer. Some people get the blues during deep winter and I find myself enjoying them a little more. I like the shorter days. I like blue jeans and a hoodie. I like long sleeve shirts and boots with thick socks. Hot. Coffee.

No, my hands dislike the cold and I still want to be inside, however, living in the very humid south during the summer is just plain miserable.

Today it will probably reach 100 degrees. People on the left coast and in the desert probably want to slap me but oh my various gods it's really obnoxious out here. It's also 100% humidity at any given moment, so as soon as you step outside, you're sweating. The air feels like you're breathing water. It's heavy and everything is sticky. And by all that is holy I think leather or vinyl seats should be outlawed here. It's just evil.

So, when I hole up in the house because it's almost as hot inside as it is outside, I thumb through a random mail order catalog that already has Christmas or Halloween items listed. I sit in front of the window a/c and think of fall festivals and cider. I think of naked trees and seeing my breath in the dark while waiting on my kids' bus. I close my eyes and smell the leaves burning in burn barrels and new fall shows. Trick or Treating and birthdays.
New school years and back to school clothes.

As for this particular year, I'll be holding my breath and waiting for my 1st release, Devil in a Red Kilt to come out. Another story set in the fall - around my favorite time of year....a Halloween party and the cold winter of Scotland. Places and times that I so love.

So for now, I'll sit around in front of the a/c and wait out the hot. I hope you guys can stay cool too.


This entry was posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 at Tuesday, June 15, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

9 comments

I'm hiding in my air-conditioned house thinking of fall/winter right along with you, girl!

June 15, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Yes, please someone remind me why the hell we live in the South again... It's the gravy, right?

June 15, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Yay! I have company...


and YBS - because moving sucks? lol

June 15, 2010 at 3:45 PM
GothhicGoddess  

I think the heat sucks period. Be it humid or dry.
I wish we had fall here. Pictures of it always look so pretty. Summer starts in March here, and ends in October, when it becomes winter.
There is maybe one to two days of the weather changing, where it goes from 120 to 50 and everything just falls dead off of the trees.
*sigh* I'd love to see fall.

June 15, 2010 at 5:11 PM

GG: we generally have a fall but depending on how much rain we get during the summer depends on how pretty it gets before it all falls away. It doesn't start getting chilly until October, definitely. And you're right - the hot just sucks in general..

June 15, 2010 at 7:32 PM

I'm down here in the south too (NC) and I can't stand this weather. It's too hot and I can't use the a/c in my house (my daughter is allergic - yes, it's awful)/ I went out in it yesterday morning and I thought I was in hell on earth. I mean why bother taking a shower, you're only going to stay wet for the rest of the day.

June 16, 2010 at 7:37 AM

OMG! You poor guys...
I think I would have to move to another country near the arctic circle if I couldn't have air conditioning!!

June 16, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Here in northern Illinois where I live, we don't get much of a autumn or spring either. The seasons are winter, followed by two weeks of spring, then construction before two weeks of autumn. And, construction is a season here. Fall is my favorite time if year too. Hang in there, it'll come soon enough. :)

June 16, 2010 at 4:37 PM

LOL Darius - we have summer broken up by "OMGITSCOLD" and about two weeks of spring.

June 17, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Post a Comment