Thirty.  

Posted by Elysabeth Williams


When I turned twenty-five, I stared down the face of thirty. Fear was palpable. I slid down my last half of my twenties in a haze, landing at my dreaded age with arms full of a newborn. I always heard, if you blink, it would become ten years later. I’ve blinked, and I now stare down forty, standing in the middle of my thirties. The fear has not waned. I stand here with two children now, one in school and the other giving sass. I force my eyes wide to let the air dry them out, petrified to blink again.



another 100 word challenge from velvetverbosity's site.

This entry was posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 at Monday, January 25, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

8 comments

love this. i'll be forty in 38 days. feeling oddly calm about it. the journey is on-course, it seems.

January 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Oh, darlin', keep those eyes open and pay very close attention to every precious minute. I've blinked a few times, and those kids of mine have kids of their own.

January 25, 2010 at 10:06 AM

One more blink and I'll be 50... one child graduating high school, the other from college. It really does go by so fast.

(via Velvet Verbosity)

January 26, 2010 at 6:49 AM

Thanks all :D The topic of the week really smacked me for some reason. Hit a little too close to home ;)

Hope you have a great week!

January 26, 2010 at 8:13 PM

I'm only half of thirty, but there's a part of me that is already scared to blink.

Great writing, brilliant ending.

January 29, 2010 at 10:26 AM

cheeky- i felt like you wrote this to me! at 30 i too had my arms filled with a new born. i have blinked, now i have one in school, the other with sass. oh, oh, oh, the sass! but i want to freeze them. right here. right now. stop growing. stay still. awesome post. very relatable, perfectly done! love it!

January 30, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Thanks.. this was very cathartic to write, even though it was just 100 words. :)
It's amazing what just a few words can convey.

January 30, 2010 at 10:44 AM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
February 4, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Post a Comment