Thursday is Fired, Some People are Still Nice & I still need a drink.  

Posted by Elysabeth Williams

It all started out a semi normal day.

Wake up at the ass crack of dawn to get the kids up, one on the bus and the other ready to go to a doctor's appointment by 9:30. My husband is driving my car because it's a bit more reliable to do his job, and I'm usually at home. I'm to borrow my sister's car - if I can get his car (the evil car) to her house.

So, off we go into the wild blue yonder of the Atlanta bypass and beyond in my sister's car. Doctor's appointment goes well. Lunch afterward was wonderful. I return my sister's car and pick up the Evil Car.

Evil. Car. 

Evil Car is a beater 1991 Volvo. The seat is broken on one side so it actually faces more to the right side than the front. It can't be adjusted. The electrical system is jacked up, so the clock,r radio, the odometer, and most importantly... the gas gauge... don't... work...

As we drove out of the safety of my sister's neighborhood, the car started to sputter... Is it the engine or the gas? I didn't have time to get that answer in my head because not long after that, the stupid thing up and died on the side of a four lane.

My three year old and I take to the grassy side to walk to the nearest gas station, about a mile away.
Got a little ways down the street to a  red light and an ANGEL drove up and asked if we needed help.
"I"m not a murderer! do you need help!?"
"I'm not a scammer! I need gas!"

Thank various gods this woman had a carseat in her car and we toodle off to the gas station. I'm not really sure what I said because the only thing that was going through my mind at the time was OMGOMGOMGOMGTHIS IS NOT HAPPENING.

:: sigh ::

Nice lady returns me to my car in one piece and not in several, and the handy Marietta PoPo roll up to lend a helping hand as well.

We all said YAY when the car cranked up (and I was internally freaking because my stomach was now not happy I had Mexican food not an hour before.. eeeek.)

I say thanks a thousand times to the nice lady and drove away back to the gas station to get more gas. Turn it off. Get Gas. Crank it again.

It won't crank.

!(@*#(#*$&(*!@$!!!

Call my BFF and freak again. Randomly crank the car and miraculously, it starts again. OMG WAT?
CUSS the Evil Car all the way home..

Well the nice part of this story is that I belong to a local forum and posted a 'thank you to the lady who helped me' post...
Someone saw it, and is a friend of hers.

Now, if I can find her, I want to say THANK YOU in a non-freaked-out way.
She mentioned buying my book, amongst the inane babble and now I just want to thank her by giving her a copy. It's the very least I can do.


There really are nice people in the world.
Sometimes you just have to be in a ditch to find them.

This entry was posted on Thursday, September 30, 2010 at Thursday, September 30, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

9 comments

What an ordeal! And it's funny, back when I first moved to the Atlanta area (in 2000) I was driving in our unreliable car on 85, with my kids in car seats in the back. Our evil car up and died on 85S, not far from Jimmy Carter Blvd. Yeah. Not only was that a horrible place to break down, but I was in the car pool lane when it happened and had to pull off on the inside, practically non-existent shoulder. Anyhow, glad an angel happened along to help you. The world is still full of good people! Hope you find her :))

September 30, 2010 at 4:07 PM

omg! I used to live off Jimmy Carter, so I know exactly where you're talking about! That's seriously scary. Glad you guys made it out safe too :D

September 30, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Shame! My car is also starting and dying without rhyme or reason.

I suspect it's the electrics, because it just suddenly cuts out regardless of the speed I'm traveling.

I think it's awesome that someone helped you. It just goes to show that there might be at least a little hope left for us humans...

:-)

September 30, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Misha that's crazy. I wonder if it's something in the air making cars go on strike? lol

And yeah, I think there's some good eggs left in the box, for sure. Today was a good example.

September 30, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Yay for angel ladies and getting back home safely! I hope you find her!! <3

October 1, 2010 at 7:50 AM

Thank you! I made it home after MUCH CUSSING. lol

and good news -- I did find her to thank her again :D
I hope she doesn't think I'm stalking her. lol

October 1, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Ack! Check the alternator and starter, those made me more tow-truck driver friends in college than should be legal.

Glad it turned out well!

October 1, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Thanks Stacey, I'll let the hubs know to check those out..
:D

October 4, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Oh, I'm SO GLAD to see you're doing another signing -- I was really upset to have missed the first one -- and also quite pleased to hear that due to the kindness of strangers, you may even survive until Saturday. Are you bringin' tha shorties?

October 4, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Post a Comment